Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Fathers Day Weekend Thoughts…

Trizna Meeting

Had a delightful meeting with Bob Trizna and others yesterday morning at, where else, MickyD’s.  This was my first time meeting the “other blogger” and “sometime-nemesis”.  The talk was open and frank and covered a variety of Park Ridge subjects, including, of course, issues revolving around the PRPD/SSI/Senior Center controversy, a subject we are still in fundamental disagreement on.

I know, some of you, on both sides, are shaking your heads, if not your fists screaming “TRAITOR!” at your computers screen.  Don’t waste your time, neither blogger betrayed his readers.  Bob still holds to the same misguided beliefs he had when he walked in while I’m still committed to reality, supported by FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) derived facts. 

There was something I was surprised to learn however, Mr. Trizna had never seen most of the PRPD/SSI contracts.  Unfortunately, he was writing without the benefit of this critical information. I emailed Bob a full FOIA derived set later in the day. 

Do I believe the meeting worth while?  Yes, absolutely.  Would I do it again?  Yes, absolutely.  I’m in the educating/opinion/experience business, that’s what most blogs are.  In my opinion, the meeting certainly was educating, we shared opinions, and it definitely was an experience.

Now, onto the next issue, one of several subjects Mr. Trizna and I actually agree on.

PRPD Claims Open Board Meeting Videos – Copyright Protected

Four months ago I submitted an email to Park Ridge Park District Executive Director Mountcastle, requesting PRPD’s permission to copy portions of Park Ridge Park Districts publicly funded Board Meeting, videos already residing on Park District’s publicly-funded website.

My February 14, 2012, email said:

“I just have a question regarding PRPD copyright of Board Meeting Videos uploaded on the PRPD website.

I intend to create videos containing portions of specific board meeting; subsets, if you will. The videos on PRPD’s site, even if they were the right format, are too large for effective viewing and cover additional information not required for the subjects I am covering.

At this time, I intend to produce several videos. Each will include an “opening text screen” showing it’s origin and date, followed by the opening “roll call” vote, followed by those parts of the original video connected to Senior Center related discussion.

No changes to the original material will be made.

The finished product will be uploaded to Youtube from where it will be downloaded to my blog site for discussion.

Youtube has strict copyright rules and of course, that's the reason for this email.

So, will I have a PRPD copyright problem and if so, what published policy should I look to for guidance?”

On May 3, 2012, I received this emailed response from Ms. Mountcastle:

“The Park District claims copyrights in its videos of Park Board meetings; no broadcast, re-broadcast, publication, re-publication, transmission, re-transmission, or display of such video or copies thereof, in whole or in part, is authorized by the Park District without the prior written approval of the Park District.

You are advised to seek your own legal counsel regarding any questions you may have about personal liability exposure you may face should you infringe upon a Park District copyright.

The foregoing is not to be construed as a denial of access under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act and your right to inspect or obtain a copy of a video(s) of any specific Park Board meeting(s) will be honored upon the Park District's receipt of a request and pre-payment of any applicable copying charges. The Park District, however, does not grant its consent to the publication, in whole or in part, of any video that may hereafter be provided to you in response to any FOIA request that you may make.”

A later Park Ridge Park District statement by Ms. Mountcastle on POLICY read:

“I just talked with Attorney Hoffman, who said he advised you last week that this is not a matter of policy, but of law. We do not have a policy on this.”

I wonder if ABC, CBS, NBC, WTTW, Pioneer Press or even the Journal-Topics, would have received the same response.

Now, I think Park District’s response is ultimately, politically motivated, and not legally driven, because I suspect, some Park Ridge Park Board Members would probably find their comments and/or actions… well, to put it kindly, somewhat unsuitable for Park Ridge’s less politically sophisticated, emotionally challenged blog reading audience. 

That’s you, by the way!

As you can see, in Ms. Mountcastle’s response, PRPD says I can’t use any part of the video, including, by extension although not expressly stated, the audio. 

They may own the video!  They may own the audio!  And they may have copyright protection for both, but do they own the dialogue?  A question still to be answered.  So, I thought, how does one get around this roadblock?

Well, I have an Idea!

Looks easy enough.  A lot of senior talent waiting to help, I’m sure.

Earlier, I reported Mr. Trizna and I found agreement on this subject.   We’ve agreed that PRPD is acting wrong-headed by invoking “copyright” protection for publicly-funded Open Board Meeting videos.  And, that PRPD should use their common political sense and reverse their decision!

Finally, Happy Fathers Day!

What do you think?

As always, just my opinion.

2 comments:

Robert J. Trizna said...

Ken:

Thanks for the kind (mostly) words. In a world of e-mails and txt msgs, the "lively are of conversation" (as the late Irv Kupcinet used to call it) is terribly undervalued, but was definitely in evidence last Saturday under the golden arches.

As to your point about my not having all those various Senior Center agmts. you obtained by FOIA, you are correct. However, I had seen a couple of them; and, after reviewing the rest of them, it does not appear that they have any bearing on the Kemnitz Trust issues. But if you disagree, make your case and I would gladly re-visit that issue with you.

Robert J. Trizna said...

Please excuse the typo: Kup's line was the "lively ART of conversation."