Sunday, March 31, 2013

Look at you Rick! All Grown Up – Writing For Yourself On Facebook! – Part #2

In Look at you Rick! All Grown Up – Writing For Yourself On Facebook! – Part #1, I gave my opinion on the various Board Commissioner candidates and their decision to go negative again, returning to telling their unsubstantiated and discredited story of pre-2011 Senior Center toilet denial.  I also presented statements written by Board President, Commissioner Rick Biagi; both on his new Facebook page as well as Biagi comments on my Blog site.

This post will continue to lay out their stories as told to me by them, via email.

Biagi Responds (Repeated)

In response to my first publishing this information on September 15, 2011 in Restroom-gate continued – Park Ridge Park District says NO lists of formal complaints of complainers exist, Mr. Bisgi wrote the following:

“Mr. Butterly:

 

I read some of your recent blog posts asking me to provide specificity to my accusations of personal attacks on myself and my family. You also insisted in one of your posts that you did not engage in any such activity. I beg to differ with you as your September 15, 2011 post shows that you question my (and by implication my wife’s) truthfulness:

‘Gee Ms. Wynn-Ryan! Gee Mr. Biagi! Where’s the proof to your story? Don’t even tell us it was a family member, as someone near the Board recently suggested. Have you no shame?

My research went back as far as 01/01/2005.

Surely, an issue this important, and one used repeatedly as a reason for your current actions, would have generated one official report or the name of one citizen offended!’

I fail to see how the existence of a report to the Executive Director or Superintendent of Recreation is dispositive of the fact that my wife was turned away twice by people in the Senior Center when attempting to use the bathroom for one of my five young children. Moreover, the fact that I was told of identical stories by a number of PR parents at various sporting events also has no bearing whatsoever on whether a report was filed. In point of fact, each of these people, including my wife, knew that they were informing an elected official of the Park District and fully anticipated that I would bring such issue to the attention of staff…no written report is needed. If you circle back to some video transcripts from prior Board meetings I am almost certain that I mentioned the issue in public session before the entire Board.

You, however, are not the only person that referred to me as a liar or questioned the veracity of my statements. In fact, Barb Ignolia referred to me and Mary Wynn-Ryan as “liars” and that “we should be ashamed of ourselves” at a recent Board meeting. I also believe that Helen Roppel and Millie O’Brien engaged in similar discourse in their various posts to your blog, PRU and to the local papers.

If you would like to discuss this matter in more detail, I would be happy to talk with you by phone or in person. In fact, it might be worthwhile for you to appear at a Board meeting where you can address the Board en banc. However, I will not engage in further discussion of this topic on your blog where “anonymous” posters can continue to disparage my credibility and character and/or that of my family under the shroud of anonymity.”

The email string that follows represents the remainder of the communication at that time.

Summary

 

  My Response

“As you can see, I received your email. There, you suggested your "wife was turned away twice by people in the Senior Center when attempting to use the bathroom for one of my five young children." I have no idea when these alleged incidents occurred. Can you tell me what season and year you're talking about?”

Rick Biagi Response

“The two incidents my wife referred to took place somewhere in the summer of either 2007 or 2008. In both instances, she was at the playground adjacent to the Senior Center with my kids.

The incidents involving parents with kids in the sports programs were reported to me in the spring/summers of 2010 and 2011. I am not sure when each of the various incidents occurred.”

At this point it should be noted that then Board President Mary Wynn-Ryan entered the picture.  Mr Biagi had copied her, and this is what she had to say in response:

Mary Wynn-Ryan Response to Rick – Copy to me.

“Thank you, Rick. People don't have to agree about priorities but they cross the line when they outright, and repeatedly, call others liars because they don't like how reports make them look. As you know, my daughter was a gradeschool-aged Girl Scout when, after her troop sang Christmas carols to the members of the Senior Center, they were told by their leader she'd been advised they could not use the bathroom at the Senior Center but had to wait until they got to the Community Center. My daughter has offered to come and state as much in public, but given the hateful and outrageous behavior and statements we've experienced, there's no way I'd let her.

‘Shame’ belongs a lot of places, but not on our families.”

My Response to Mary Wynn-Ryan

“Thank you for informing me (through your email to Rick Biagi) of your daughters experience at the Senior Center.

Unfortunately, your emailed account did not specify when this alleged incident occurred. Can you tell me what year you're talking about?”

Mary Wynn-Ryan Response

“I'm estimating about 12 years ago or so; exactly when doesn't stand out because the unwritten rule was well entrenched by then; this only caught my attention because it seemed especially churlish to refuse children in uniform who had just performed in the spirit of giving.”

My Response to Rick Biagi & Mary Wynn-Ryan

“A couple days ago I received emails from each of you describing your family member(s) experiences relating to the Park Ridge Senior Center bathrooms prior to PRPD’s takeover of the “Center” on 01/01/2011.

Your comments, like similar comments already expressed by other community members who wished to challenge or clarify previously stated information or facts (from within or outside the blogisphere), should have been issued by you directly on Butterly on Senior Issues as “comments”.

Both of you however, chose to express your sentiments to me via email, and therein, lies the problem.

I am of the belief that you both fully intended for me to publish your emails as a part of my postings. That cannot be. I can however, publish them (in their entirety) as comments under your names and intend to do so shortly unless I am advised otherwise.

Do you have a problem with this plan and if so, what do you advise?”

Rick Biagi Response

“I have no problem with you posting my comments on your blog. However, as I stated in my earlier message, I will not engage in a back-and-forth dialogue on your blog where people are able to launch baseless and often false allegations against me or others under the cloak of anonymity.”

Mary Wynn-Ryan Response

“I have no problem with your publishing my comment under my name, but I do have a question: Why?

You would do your friends a favor in the court of public opinion by not continuing to highlight this issue.

Numerous Park Ridge residents know what VP Biagi and I said is true, based on their own and their families' experiences over the years -- and the people at the Senior Center who don't like us won't believe us anyway.

Your earlier idea is more constructive. Let's move on. Let folks decide to give the new approach and staff a chance or not, as they prefer.

Life's too short!

I echo VP Biagi's decision: No back-and-forth in a name-calling environment from me. I hope you are ready to do as you planned and move on, but regardless, I am.”

After these communications I considered the matter closed and moved on, since I believed further discussion on the part of all parties would be unnecessarily hurtful.

But!

Just when I thought I could call the game over, Mr. Biagi swore by his tattoo!

Obviously Rick, in my opinion, didn’t seem to get that an attempt  to destroy the reputations of one formally highly valued long-term employee, Ms. Teresa Grodaky and current Commissioner Steven Vile, might generate some serious blowback. 

On  January 3, 2012 and again on January 5, 2012 Rick sent out an email explaining his actions and motives.  January 3, 2012 – no data file attached.  January 5, 2012 – data file attached.

Out of curiosity, I made a side-by-side comparison showing identical email text.  As there was no variation, I guess Rick just got a little trigger-happy!

Text of January 5, 2012 email Titled Senior Center/Grodsky!

 

“From: Rick Biagi
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:04 PM
To: Rick Biagi

Subject: Senior Center/Grodsky

My name is Rick Biagi and I currently serve as the Vice President of the Park Ridge Recreation and Park District, Board of Commissioners. I was elected by the taxpayers of Park Ridge to serve as a Commissioner in 2009. My current term ends in 2013. I am speaking in my capacity as one elected Commissioner and in no way represent or warrant that my statements are those of the entire Board of Commissioners.

For the better part of the last eighteen months, I have witnessed a situation involving the Park Ridge Senior Center spiral completely out of control, for reasons that have totally evaded me up until November of 2011. I have been subjected to personal attacks by members of the Park Ridge Senior Center as has my wife. My character and credibility has been brought into question by these same people, as has the character and credibility of some of my fellow elected Commissioners and certain members of the staff. I have seen false accusations hurled at elected officials and staff of the Park District by members of the Senior Center and the Board of Senior Services, Inc. and I have seen vicious rumors and lies promulgated by these same individuals. In recent days, I have been informed of a vicious verbal assault on a member of the Park District management as well, in which a police report was apparently filed.

In good conscience, I can no longer stand by quietly and allow these rumors, lies and ad hominem attacks continue, without setting the record straight, once and for all.

In the following, I will attempt to address a number of the false accusations, rumors and/or outright lies that were promulgated, with facts that I can personally attest to in my capacity as an elected official. Moreover, I intend to discuss the substance of this communication with the entire Board at the Committee of the Whole Meeting on Thursday, January 5, 2012.

Q. Was Teresa Grodsky fired?

A. No, she tendered her resignation to Executive Director Gayle Mountcastle

Q. Did the Executive Director induce Teresa Grodsky to retire?

A. Yes, to the extent that Ms. Grodsky was made aware of certain issues relating to her performance and was strongly encouraged to retire in light of the alleged transgressions.

Q. Was a formal termination of Ms. Grodsky being considered by the Executive Director?

A. Yes

Q. Why was formal termination of Ms. Grodsky being considered?

A. In the autumn of 2011, it came to the attention of the Executive Director and the District’s Attorney that confidential communications between and among members of the Park Board, its Executive Director and/or its Legal Counsel were being given by Commissioner Steven Vile to Teresa Grodsky and other members of the Senior Services Inc. (SSI) Board. Some of those communications were covered by the attorney-client privilege. All of the communications dealt with internal policy discussions and/or legal strategy as it related to the ongoing operation of the Senior Center and/or the negotiations between the Board, the PRRPD and SSI.

The emails also revealed that Ms. Grodsky, Commissioner Vile and certain members of the SSI Board and at least one of their legal counsel were actively sharing and commenting on the privileged and confidential communications from the Board/PRRPD and/or the Park District attorney. It is my understanding that Ms. Grodsky was questioned in detail by the Executive Director regarding her participation in these actions and that, following the advice of the District's Legal Counsel as well as the counsel for the District’s insurer (PDRMA), the Executive Director would seek Ms. Grodsky’s agreement to retire. At no time during these initial investigations or consultations with Legal Counsel was the Board, en banc, apprised of the situation. It was not until the November Board meeting that the Board was consulted in closed session, with Counsel for the District and PDRMA present. Copies of all relevant emails are being forwarded to the Park Ridge Herald Advocate and the Park Ridge Journal-Topics newspapers.

Q. Prior to October/November 2011, was there any indication that the Executive Director or other staff wanted to terminate Ms. Grodsky for cause or for any other reason.

A. No.

Q. Was Ms. Grodsky given compensation in return for her agreement to retire/resign.

A. It was agreed that she would be able to continue to be employed by the PRRPD until January 1, 2012, in order to achieve certain employment time periods related to pension calculations. When Ms. Grodsky signed the Supplemental Severance Agreement on 1/2/2012, she was entitled to get 4 weeks vacation time and 4 personal days, which will take her through 2/6/12 and from then until 3/30/2012 she will receive $11,065.40 in pay; she has acknowledged that this is more money, compensation and benefits than she would be entitled to receive from the Park District otherwise. As of 1/2/2012, she has been placed on personal leave and will perform no further work for the District.

Q. Was there a concerted effort by the Board to have Ms. Grodsky induced to retire?

A. No. There were several individual Commissioners who did not oppose losing her as an employee. However, the hiring/firing of employees other than the Executive Director is generally not a Board matter. It would, in my opinion, take the action of the entire Board in open session to vote affirmatively to direct the Executive Director to terminate the employment of a particular employee; however, such a direction is not necessary, as the Executive Director has the power and authority to hire, fire, or otherwise negotiate (within certain limits) the termination or departure from employment of any subordinate employee when warranted. During my tenure the Board has never instructed the Executive Director to terminate an employee.

Q. Was the Board briefed in closed session on the circumstances surrounding Ms. Grodsky’s departure?

A. Yes.

Q. Did the Board take any action related to Ms. Grodsky following those closed session discussions?

A. No.

Q. At any time did the Board instruct the Executive Director or any other staff member to close the Senior Center?

A. No.

Q. Did the issue of the Betty Kemnitz trust/bequest have anything at all to do with Ms. Grodsky’s departure?

A. No.

Q. Is the Board and/or the PRRPD District involved in any legal action regarding the Betty Kemnitz trust/bequest?

A. The Park District Attorney has been informed by the attorney for the trustee of the Kemnitz Trust that he will be filing such a lawsuit imminently for the purpose of having a court determination made as to the rightful recipient of the approximately $335,000 bequest to the Senior Center. It is anticipated that the Illinois Attorney General's office will be a party to the lawsuit, as overseer of charitable foundations and the like.

Q. Did Commissioner Vile have the authority to share attorney-client privileged documents with the SSI Board and/or Ms. Grodsky?

A. No, and by doing so, Commissioner Vile not only arguably waived the privilege, without authorization, belonging to the Board and the Park District but he also waived the privilege belonging to 38,000 taxpayers.

Q. Is the Park District and the Board committed to maintaining vibrant programming and socializing activities for seniors at 100 S. Western?

A. Yes.

Rick Biagi”

The same night, Rich publicly regurgitated the email and presented it and the data-file as part of the official Park Ridge Park District meeting minutes.  From the Board Minutes – January 5, 2012:

image

The fact that you’ve read Parts 1 & 2 means you’re somewhat interested where this line of thought is going. 

Well, you’ll just have to wait until Part #3 to find out!

End part #2

Of course, it’s just my opinion.

 

No comments: