Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In my prime…

My name is Kenneth Butterly and I am now a self-acknowledged senior.  A very special demographic classification where everyone not yet “old” thinks you are senile, infirm or over the hill.  A category pandered to by politicians seeking your vote, while at the same time hoping you croak quickly, because to them, you are a pain in the ass and a drain on their precious bloated budgets.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

I was encouraged to join the Park Ridge Senior Center (PRCC) this morning by an old friend.  To my amazement, I accepted, and did so for a couple reasons.  First, being the frugal old cuss that I am, found the price of membership affordable.  More importantly, I found the the Center had need of my skill-set.

Why the blog?

The idea of blogging is nothing new.  I already have one site: Butterly on Education.  But I thought it might be kind of interesting to write about the things I see going on in and around the community, of course, from this seniors perspective.

You can blog too!

I encourage my readers, that’s you if you havn’t forgotten already why you are here, to become full participants in this site.  If you have something to say about or just want to add to something I’ve posted, then of course, add your comments to the post.  However, if you have something of your own to publish relating to senior community issues and need a venue, then send me an email  with the article attached.  So long as it is appropriate and relevant, I will publish it for reader comment.  However, you must include your full name and phone number so I can confirm authenticity.

So, while I’m still in my prime, let’s begin the journey.

No comments: